Wednesday, December 12, 2012

245.6 - Weight loss powered by Nike

By your powers combined I am Captain Caveman!
Wait, that's not right ...
I am a gamer. Well, not really, a gamer plays a game for enjoyment and to embrace the experience. I need something else, I need to win. I need that score, I NEED POINTS!!! I want all the points, I want to rank highly, I want to beat everyone else and I have dedicated hours to this. Games as classic as Mario World, as complex as Grand Theft Auto and as silly as the YoVille balloon game. I got all the balloon combinations, and I bet most of you reading didn't even realize there was a balloon game. As soon as I found out it existed, I had to pwn it, hard. Then Nike came along and gave me a challenge, and my obsession is finally harnessed in the area of fitness.

I wear the Nike Fuel band. I get points for activity. Simple enough concept, but it get's better. I have a daily goal. At first, it's a little tricky figuring out just how much more than my normal daily output I need to add to get the point value I'm targeting, but I start walking more, running more and generally adding more activity in my day with the goal of hitting this score. I start getting sneaky about it. I go on walks instead of eating snacks. I take the stairs, and use the bathroom on the next floor so I have to go further to reach it. Soon enough, the goal is too easy to attain and I'm pushing it up.

On days that I work out, I naturally expend more energy, and that's when trophies kick in. I can earn trophies for hitting 50%, double, ... up to triple my daily target. So when I am scheduled for a bit more than a normal day, I can aim for a trophy instead of my resting target, but maintaining my goal performance means on rest days I have to be ready to at least hit the minimum.

It's really well done. Really motivating and useful, and my progress has been a lot steadier with the tool on my wrist. One of the phrases you hear a lot from the LA Fitness loud speakers is "What get's measured, get's improved". I think this holds true for my activity level. I thought it was enough to push it in the gym to cover for my slacking elsewhere, but being motivated to spend more time thinking about being active and working towards a goal is definitely giving me a motivating edge, and as you can read here. The social interaction is also very motivating.

There are a couple of these tools available, some have less features and a lower price tag, but I recommend that anyone trying to push themselves to do more find a way of tracking how well they're doing. Progress, the Phat way.

11 comments:

  1. I think its time for me to invest in Nike Fuel band..perhaps it can become instrumental in helping me remain focus on my goals. Lack of motivation is my biggest challenge and I need to get past this. I love the simple tips you have offered to get the wheels rolling.

    http://www.healthyaction.com.au/tribulus.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mean to shill for any particular product, the thing is $150.00 bucks, but I will say that to me, it's absolutely worth it for the knowledge and the motivation.

      Delete
  2. This place has so many human hair wigs that I love. Human Hair Wigs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a blog web site?
    The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept visit site:Canyon Health

    ReplyDelete
  4. What intrigues me about that Nike Fuel Bands is the way it would work for me. I mean, I believe that you have already provided a brief explanation on your post but I guess that it is something really new and that there's no harm in trying. I might tell my personal trainer about that as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I highly recommend using something to track your activity especially if you're not in the gym 5 days a week.

      Delete
  5. You remember that the Weightlossnote main goal is to teach you lose weight with the help of ... The famous sports gear manufacturers, Nike, have an extended scale of products when it comes to running shoes. ... Powered by WordPress. raspberry ketone 




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm willing to throw every advantage I can to achieve my goal, and I will talk about them all here.

      Delete
  6. This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information.. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post.An unique multi-language portal idea with a global exposure and a national focus on both rich high quality online content and dynamic database generated listings for matching business and social interests and needs
    community portal

    ReplyDelete
  7. Help In Weight Loss and Fitness tips offer Indepth Study into the latest research, trends and workouts and covers topics related to weight loss and fitness,weight loss diets,including nutrition, exercise, muscle strength training, flexibility and weght loss. more information then visit HelpInWeightLoss.com click here Help in weight loss

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete