Tuesday, January 15, 2013

249.8 - On happiness

I am not happy with my weight. It is a constant impediment to my health, to my movement, and to my lifestyle. I don't like buying clothes at the fat store. I don't like the reflection of jiggling when I run on the treadmill. I don't like aspects of my weight, but I can't allow that to be the definition of my self image.

How do you feel about yourself? Are you perfectly satisfied? I doubt it, or you probably wouldn't be reading some guy's diet and fitness blog. However, are you happy with yourself? Can you be happy with yourself? Are you so used to self scrutiny, that the next imperfection that you obsess over is just a mirror away?

I meet people all the time that look the way I would imagine I would like to look some day, and my biggest problem with talking to them is the level of dissatisfaction with themselves. It honestly trumps mine many times over. Astonishingly, the motivation of many who seek to "perfect" themselves comes from an insatiable need for physical idealism motivated by a concept of fitness.

I can't tell you to be happy, or to love what you see in the mirror, but what I will say is this. Happiness is not in looking in the mirror and appreciating it. It's in looking in the mirror and accepting it. Accepting yourself. It doesn't mean you have to give up the motivation to change. It just means you can't withhold you satisfaction with your effort until your body matches whatever image you've constructed in your mind. Work on your happiness during your effort, and reap all the benefits at your destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment